Tuesday, January 1, 2019

My Newest Love!

He asked me what I wanted for Christmas! So I told him.

I'd had my eye on an Instant Pot since I sat in on a workshop on how to cook with an instant pot 2 years ago before I even knew what they were!

So he sheepishly asked whether I wanted a small one or a large one. So there was no doubt about what it was when I saw his gift under the tree!

And now after 2 meals made in it, I'm in love! I can't believe it took me so long to jump on this bandwagon. Today for our New Year's Day meal, we decided on Brazilian Feijoada. So I asked Google and found a wonderful recipe for it designed to be made in the Instant Pot. So easy! So perfect! From dry black beans to finished meal in about an hour. That was amazing.

I told him that now I understood why people raved about their instant pots. He just smiled. Of course, he gets to eat the lovely meals that are going to come from it so he's happy and I'm happy.

Just so you understand, I have cooked with a pressure cooker for years and have always loved my pressure cooker. However, it has now been permanently shelved. (Well, maybe I'll pull it off the shelf again in a pinch, but the Instant Pot has taken over in my kitchen.)

I can understand that he was a little hesitant to get me an Instant Pot especially since he got me a great big pressure canner a couple of Christmases ago and it has hardly ever been used. In my defense, I got busy with other things and lost interest in being the resident canner, leaving that task to my son and daughter. But I'm sure he's pleased that this particular appliance looks like it will get plenty of action and will actually be worth the purchase price.

If you've been hearing about the Instant Pot and wondering if it might be for you, let me just give you a way to evaluate that. If you prefer to eat out most of the time, don't bother with getting one. It will probably just sit on your shelf. However, if you make many of your meals from scratch, you would probably love one and it would save you a lot of time and fuss.

I worried about the weight of it, but the actual cooking pot of the 8 quart Instant Pot (the original, not a copycat), is very lightweight. I was surprised at how easy it is to handle. And I can saute, pressure cook and keep warm all in one seamless process without having to switch pans.

Today's meal was prep, set, go away and come back to a finished meal. Absolutely amazing!

Just to be clear, I may receive a small commission if you click on any links in this post at no additional cost to you. And please feel free to add your comments, especially if you have an instant pot. I'd love to know what you think of yours.

2 comments:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.