Monday, June 24, 2013

John Reece's Birthday Tribute

Today, June 24th, John would have been 36 years old. Every once in awhile I let my mind wander and imagine what he might be doing today if he were still alive.

Would he have a wife and children? No doubt he would have a very good and prestigious job. Perhaps he would be on the mission field fulfilling his dream of being a "tentmaker" missionary.

But whatever he might have been doing, it all pales in comparison to being in the presence of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I have no doubt that he would echo the Apostle Paul's sentiments that he expressed in Philippinas 1:21-23.
"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better."
From our limited perspective here on earth, we can barely comprehend what Paul was talking about. We place so much value on earthly things and most of us value them highly! But the Bible continually exhorts and encourages us to set our minds on things above, not on things here on this earth. All of them are subject to corruption and the only things that really last are the incorruptible where Christ is preparing a place for all who love Him and are looking forward to His return!

As you can imagine, I write this to remind myself as much as to remind you who are reading this that our priorities need to be on what is above. That is certainly what John would want me to be doing. It is my birthday gift to him today.

Want to read more about John? Check it out at Aloha is Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.